44 and counting

Women . Watches . Wheels . Workout . Weekend

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Toyota Celica (first gen)

Saw this one a while back in a carpark at Robertson Quay. Pardon my camera phone photos.







I consider the first generation Celica a real beauty and true classic. You don't find too many Japanese cars that look so good after 20-30 years. Yes, at the altar there will be the Civic EGs, CRXs, and also the Miatas, but the Celica has more curves and possibly less electronics to worry about. It is much older than the other 3 cars.

Stock pics where you can see the side mirrors mounted at the hood. I like.



I also had good fortune to see this one on the road recently. Beautiful pearl effect body colour.



It runs on carburetors, and if I remembered correctly, you'd need to manually wind the windows too.

I'm not too sure how many are still prowling the roads in SG these days. But I sure hope they fight on for many more years to come. These simple, ol' school machines are proving to be more lasting than modern cars full of useless gadgets (read DRL, steering volume controls).

I wonder if I'll be driving this one today if my old man hadn't sold his back in 1986. I had fond memories of climbing into the back row via the fold/slide down front seats and the retro-fitted A/C unit.

Wanna guess how much moola these bad boys cost back then?







SGD5000.

Fuck me. I love 1986.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home